Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Basic Needs Guide for Saint Paul and Ramsey County Residents: Housing

Find resources such as phone numbers, addresses, websites, and hotlines to help meet basic needs in Saint Paul and Ramsey County.


Emergency Assistance (EA)
Emergency Assistance (EA) is a county-based resource for families with emergent financial needs (generally housing and utility).

Ramsey County residents call: (651) 266-4444
Washington County residents call : (651) 430-6455

United Way
Receive the local agencies that provide these additional housing resources.

 2-1-1 or 1-800-543-7709 

Free Legal Help for Renters 
Website is available in English, Spanish, and Somali --select language at the top.

English: (612) 728-5767
Spanish: (612) 255-8870
Somali: (612) 255-8860
Hmong: (612) 255-7104
Greater MN: (866) 866-3546

Tenant Resource Center 
Resources available on eviction and homelessness prevention, emergency assistance, mediation, workforce, and legal assistance.Call for support. You can leave a message on the voicemail. Calls will be returned within 24 hours.

(612) 302-3180

Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP) 
The Family Homeless Prevention and Assistance Program (FHPAP) helps low-income families with or without children, unaccompanied youth, and single adults who are homeless or are about to become homeless.

Resources and money help with:
* Preventing homelessness
* Getting back into housing right away
* Staying in housing

Assistance usually takes the form of short-term help with rent. It may also help with utility costs. Payments may help to prevent foreclosure or eviction.

Families call (651) 215-2262
Single Adults call (651) 647-2350
Youth call (651) 224-9644

Neighborhood House
When a family faces a situation that puts them at risk for homelessness, Neighborhood House helps them find permanent, safe homes. Assistance may include emergency financial support, housing inspections, or mediation between tenants and landlords.
Click on link to access the eligibility form and to find emergency shelter. 

Coordinated Access to Housing and Shelter (CAHS)
CAHS will provide information on shelter availability and other housing options. For Ramsey County residents.

(651) 215-2262 

Cradle of Hope
Provides assistant with utilities, housing, food, medical bills, past due bills related to current pregnancy, child care, maternity clothes/maternity needs, and crib for pregnant women and infants up until 3 months of age.

1970 Oakcrest Ave, Suite 104
Roseville, MN 55113
(651) 636-0637

Community Stabilization Project
Provide tools to help residents empower themselves to create healthier choices, livelihood and provide opportunities for individuals to become proactive on their issues and policies that are impacting their health and community.

(651) 225-8778

Mentoring Young Adults
MYA positively impacts the community with programs focused helping young adults in initial crisis situations, training, counseling and group support. The cores programs are: 1) providing housing for homeless youths 2) financial assistance for low­income youth and families 3) youth’s second chance re­entry to support transition back into society from Juvenile Detention Centers or Prison, depending on the age and circumstances of their case.

(651) 222-7721

Metro Shelter Hotline
Offers information about emergency shelters and transitional housing for single adults, families and youth in the seven county metro areas.




Xcel Energy

  • PowerON & Gas Affordabilitiy Program
  • Speak to a personal representative about a payment arrangement 1-800-331-5262.
  • Request an application for The Cold Weather Protection Rule that prohibits your heat from being turned off until April 1st of that heating season.

Heat Share through Salvation Army
HeatShare is a Salvation Army program that provides emergency utility assistance for people with no place left to turn. Emergency social services may also be available. 


Community Action Program (CAP) of Ramsey/Washington Counties:
Apply for ENERGY ASSISTANCE for families paying their own electric, gas (heat) or both.

(651) 645-6470

Weatherization Program For Low-Income Persons
The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) enables low-income families to reduce their energy bills by making their homes more energy efficient.


​Weatherization Assistance/ Energy Conservation Program serves Ramsey and Washington counties and will help with home insulation and furnace repairs.



Families facing foreclosure or behind on mortgage payments should:

  • Contact their bank or mortgage company and notify them of the situation BEFORE the family gets too far behind on their payments.
  • Get connected with a foreclosure prevention program by calling Minnesota Homeownership Center at (651) 659-9336.  These programs usually depend on your city, so they will help families navigate to the correct agency to assist you.